Report: Central Arizona Tour

285 miles in 4 days!

This tour was originally meant to go some 500 miles in 5 days, but my legs were totally shot after the first 135 mile day from Tucson to Lake Roosevelt. Two big mountain passes and what was eventually 9 hours and 20 minutes of cycling really took it out of me. I decided I didn't want to get back on the bike (too much information possibly, but the saddle sores really hurt), so I spent the next day by the lake relaxing. Click 'Read More' at the bottom for all the photos!

Setting off early, for an epic ride!

Stop for the flowers
 
The furthest I've ever gone before on a bike. The road is unknown




Mountain pass climbing to Globe, AZ


Over the top!


First mountain pass defeated!
Another long climb at Mile 125 (looking back). This hurt.

Lake Roosevelt


Kate and I

The Dam


Sun setting on the basin

After that fantastic day, I took the bike back through mining country, up to Top of the World and camped near Superior, AZ. That day was an easy 45-odd miles, despite a lot of it being uphill. The final day was another 100+ miler back to Tucson, Arizona. Enjoy the photos!

Fresh off a rest day, this climb was no match

Push-over of a pass

Spot the bike

Lunch at Top of the World, AZ

Camping!

It was so cold that morning!


Superior, AZ

Ray Copper Mine. All 4 miles of it!

The Catalinas! I'm home!
Looking back, this was such a good trip. I can't quite believe I made it so far around Arizona! Sadly though this 'practice' tour, will have to do for now.


2 comments:

  1. Well done Russell, you'll have to work out how many calories you burnt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dad!
    It was probably on the order of 10,000 calories. I came back weighing 10 st 5 lbs! I'm back up to 10 st 8 lbs now though...

    ReplyDelete