Thoughts on Hammocks

Not a very original title, but it's late. I'm only human dammit! I'm sure you're all interested to know what I've been thinking about this last week regarding the tour (yeah, right). Well the answer is not much. It's the end of my internship this week, so organising and giving presentations have taken up most my time. However, "not much" isn't nothing, and with my trip to Kenya coming up, I've been thinking more about the camping aspect of the tour.

As the title suggests I've been looking at hammocks. First of all I feel this may be a better option than carrying a standard tent around with me. In terms of weight and ease of set-up, the hammocks have the advantage (as there are some that don't require poles). 'A mind full of mountains' link explores how David Graf used a hammock on his tour.

I've been mainly checking out prices on Amazon and REI as part of my spare time. Here's a hammock that I currently like the look of:


Not only do I like the look of the hammock, but the totally unnecessary, dominating green title sells it for me. I mean it must be deluxe to have that. On a serious note, this is part of the issue I'm having with hammock, or even tent selection. My height. At 6' 2, most hammocks apparently won't fit me. The number of times I've read "comfortable for people up to 6 ft and 250 lbs" makes me want to scream. Also, what person is less than 6 ft and weighs 250 lbs (113 kg). Whatever.

So this hammock that I've found here is larger than most, and is good for people up to 7 ft. Now we're talking! The price is a downside ($200), but if it's good quality, then it sounds like a deal (compared to the costs of spending nights in hotels / motels / hostels).

UPDATE:
I've just found out that tents are often more expensive (the cheapest, good quality ones are around $300) 

The stats that appeal:
  • Set-up in 3 minutes (so they claim)
  • Less than 3 1/2 lbs in weight (tents around 7-8 lbs)
  • Patent-pending asymmetric shape is designed with a diagonal axis, making the hammock feel longer with a wider sweet spot of comfort
  • Patented, easy entry through the bottom—automatically snaps shut behind you as weight tensions the entrance; seals with VELCRO® brand closure
  • Patent-pending integral ridgeline maintains the same comfortable shape to keep your back straight and level when resting on the diagonal
  • Patented "never-tip" center balance design eliminates instability by entering from the center instead of flipping over the side
  • No-see-um mesh provides excellent insect protection and ventilation, and will deflect wind to provide a calm space inside
  • Large rainfly provides good coverage
  • Nifty gear pocket slides on the ridgeline and stores out of sight behind your head
  • Suspension system includes 10 ft. long, 2,700 lb. test low-stretch polyester core ropes
  • Hammock folds into an open-air lounger/chair or can be used on the ground as a tent when paired with your hiking poles
  • Low-impact Hennessy Hammock design requires no ground leveling, trenching or staking; webbing straps protect tree bark
  • Includes stuff sack and setup instructions printed on ripstop nylon bag
Information courtesy of REI. My only concern at present is whether a no-see-um mesh is considered as well to be a mosquito mesh / net, or would I also need to have one of them. Other than that, it sounds like a really good purchase. What does everyone think? Do you think a hammock or tent would be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment